Michael,

I was under the impression you know what inner and outer joins are?

But lets take your SQL Code.

SELECT  *
FROM            dates_table,
                events_table
WHERE   dates_table.EventID = events_table.EventID

This is how the database will see that code

SELECT * FROM events_table
INNER JOIN Dates_table ON dates_table.eventId = events_table.EventId

As for explaining, I think it is ok to make the assumption you know what
inner/outer joins are:-) But it seems you don't know what a left or right
outer join is then?

So with your example it gets translated to a normal inner join, and you have
no control. So this is preaching bad sql code in my opinion.

Sorry this is way of the topic now, my only point was that when giving
example SQL code it is best to give it properly in the first place, and to
say won't do it for the sake of doing it is crap, because what you wrote is
what I would say is bad practice.

Senior Coldfusion Developer
Aegeon Pty. Ltd.
www.aegeon.com.au