An IFrame really probably would be the easiest, and like you guessed,
doesn't even use "AJAX" per se,
and yet DOES keep the illusion of "dynamical as you click on stuff" (the
user never sees the whole
page refresh, only the graph changes, in it's "frame").

Maybe part of the trouble is there is a million and one ways to skin this
cat, you know?  Makes it
hard to pick one off the bat. =-/

You are very polite, Richard White! (hey, that rhyme[s/d] !)