The /chart.jpg suffix is a fix for any buggy software that use file extension
instead of mime-type for deciding if something is an image or not.
(Plus it helps indicate/remind other programmers and users what the script is
doing.)

What it actually is a CGI variable called Path Info - anything after the
filename but before the query string (the bit after the question mark) is the
path info.

As a quick aside, URLs are made up (roughly) in the following way:
PROTOCOL:SERVER:PORT/SCRIPT_NAME/PATH_INFO?QUERY_STRING

Here is how things work on the web interface here:
PROTOCOL=http
SERVER=//www.houseoffusion.com
PORT=[none] (defaults to 80 if not defined)
SCRIPT_NAME=/groups/CF-Talk/thread.cfm
PATH_INFO=/threadid:48034
QUERY_STRING=[none]

As you see, path_info can be used similar to query_string, but whilst QS is
generally treated as a 'dynamic' property, PI is a 'static' one.
(Hence many search engines will index the path_info part of a URL, but not
always the query_string part)

Of course, looking at your other discussion thread, cfchart generates HTML not
a JPEG, so this is all a little academic, but it's nice to learn new things
every now and then. :) (And hopefully I haven't confused things further.)

> this does actually make alot of sense peter. Can i just ask about the
> following lines of code:
>
> > document.getElementById('mychart').src= '/generate_chart.cfm/chart.
> > jpg?params='+v;
>
> i understand the v is the variable of the select option that was just
> changed but why is the chart.jpeg? added
> is it because the cfchart tag in the generate_chart.cfm page will
> generate a jpeg called chart.jpeg and therefore we are now equalling
> the source to that outputted jpeg?
>
> thanks again
peter