> Do you know what a MItM attack is? Middle is just that... the
> middle. Middle of what? The very same endpoints you
> mentioned... the client and the server.
> Basically you trick the client into believing you are the
> server and trick the server into thinking you are the client
> so all traffic between the 2 'endpoints' is routed through
> you... you then 'generously' forward said traffic it to its'
> rightful destination.

I'm well aware what a "man-in-the-middle" attack is, thanks. SSL is not
especially vulnerable to this, because it verifies the identity of both
endpoints and provides secure key exchange between said endpoints. This only
applies to certificates signed by a trusted CA, of course, and there have
been specific bugs in specific products such as IE that have broken this,
but SSL, properly configured and used, protects pretty well against those
attacks.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/