On 10/3/06, Dave Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't think it matters that much one way or the other. I simply think we
> should be more careful about how we define "best practices" generally.

Nothing /really/ matters.  In the long run. ;-)

I would think that "best practice" depends on how far you want to take it.

It might be "best practice" within a certain context, (or at least
acceptable),
but from another context, a "not so good practice", or whatnot (e.g. null
;).

My point, (besides the important one about beer (coffee is next!)) is
simple:
One way requires inferment, the other doesn't. Or to give an example,
since I probably just used the wrong words:

If all I saw was if(thisThing.recordcount) (or, if(thisThing.recordcount IS
TRUE)),
would I be able to infer that recordcount is not a Boolean?  Would I know
for
sure if I saw if(recordcount gt 0) that recordcount was not a Boolean?

It doesn't matter from some perspective, like if you think people should
check for truth with a greater than sign... =)

I try not to rely on implicit casting all the time, even though "that's how
it is"
or whatever.

But I myself am not too solid on the implicit and explicit or whathaveyou.
Like I said before, I see both the coolness of using an object's built in
nature
(the example of that article "a real programmer", something about how the
dude had used the nature of the spinning drum itself to accomplish some
nifty task, it's in here but I gotta type fast-) anyway some people dislike
cool things like that on account of, well, really it was built into that
story,
the next guy didn't realize the nature of the drum, or whathaveyou, and it
took him a while to "figure it out".  He of course thought it was awesome,
IIRC, but some people would be pissed. "I can't take this nifty method and
apply it to the square!", or whatever.
Anyway, I think explicit does make it more maintainable, portable,
understandable and whatHaveYou, but MAN, it takes a lot longer.  And
sometimes, it's all fluff anyways.  And how cool is it to be able to add
"20" + 2 + ("1" & "0") + 10, and get a number, right?
I know, I know, there are more awe inspiring examples, and I use the
stuff with javascript, I reckon, so I appreciate it. It's awesome "to be
able to" do something, no doubt.
But I think that's where the whole "best" bit comes in. :)

Mostly it's just thoughts on the matter... Whoops, time to bleat it!
Heh.
:]e|\|