I didn't see the other replies, but a long shot could be an issue that sometimes
effects jasperreports when switching from windows to linux.
It has to do with the font metrics of the different JVMs, if I recall
right... although
I think that only happens with pre-compiled reports... have you tried switching
the font just to see if that's it?

Sorry I'm not more specific, I kinda doubt this is it, but it's something to try
if you haven't yet... :-/
:Denny