Can it go instead to a cfm page that checks for the session variable and if
it isn't found, passes the update info to the component?  If you do it that
way, you can then do a <cflocation or something to somewhere in the event
that the page doesn't go through (I send mine back to the home page),
doesn't matter since spam bots don't find it anyways. 


Sandra Clark
==============================
http://www.shayna.com
Training in Cascading Style Sheets and Accessibility


-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Roberson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 4:41 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Help with Form Validation Against Spam

Sandra,

I had read of that technique in the comments of Ben Nadel's blog post about
his Math technique. At present I get a few spam submissions a week and they
are all of the same format (first and last name in both fields and a well
formed email address). It does make me thing that maybe I am only dealing
with one spam bot, but I am sure there will be more in the future.

My action page is a component, so I would rather not reference the session
scope in the CFC. How exactly do I check against the session variable in
that case?

-Aaron

On 11/8/06, Sandra Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How bout setting a session variable on the form when loaded and 
> checking for it after submittal?  Most spammers use automatic 
> submittal, so its not from your site and hence no session variable.  
> They can't emulate it and its invisible to your users.
>
>
> Sandra Clark
> ==============================
> http://www.shayna.com
> Training in Cascading Style Sheets and Accessibility
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Aaron Roberson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 3:14 PM
> To: CF-Talk
> Subject: Re: Help with Form Validation Against Spam
>
> Ben,
>
> The nice thing about your Javascript suggestion is that people will 
> think that they are just confirming their subscription (which is true) 
> while in reality it would be filtering spam. Another thing is that 
> they will already be committed having submitted the form, and would 
> likely click the confirm button.
>
> A couple of cons of using your JavaScript suggestion should be noted.
> The confirmation dialog is annoying, especially in IE since it makes a 
> noise.Secondly, some people may have JavaScript disabled. Third, 
> people may hesitate completing any other forms on the site thinking 
> that they will also have a confirmation on submit which is annoying.
>
> The good thing is that the newsletter form is typically something a 
> visitor would only fill out once. They would not be annoyed by 
> confirmation dialogs again.
>
> I may choose to use JavaScript as you have suggested instead of 
> checking if the first name and last name is the same. I'm not sure.
>
> -Aaron
>
>
>
> 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Introducing the Fusion Authority Quarterly Update. 80 pages of hard-hitting,
up-to-date ColdFusion information by your peers, delivered to your door four 
times a year.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/quarterly

Archive: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/message.cfm/messageid:259724
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/groups/CF-Talk/subscribe.cfm
Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=11502.10531.4

Reply via email to