Jason learning new technology is often not so much cramming
information into your brain but learning how to find out stuff you
dont know

When you dont know how to do something, the first thing to reach for
is your best frends, Ben Forta and Nate Weiss. Since they're not
sitting beside you, go for the next best thing, the index in the back
of their book CF-WACK.   As Matt said to you, go through that book
from front to back and it'll give you everything you need to know for
about 80%-90% of the things you might want to do in ColdFusion.  It's
easy to read, and takes you through logically.  And Ben doesnt talk
down to you, nor confuse with too much jargon.  (But i dont recommend
reading it in bed, cos you'll end up with a broken nose).

I went through it the first time,  over a couple of months travelling
3 days a week for an hour and a half in a train   I used the time in
the train productively rather than sitting staring into space and
getting grumpy about the doofdoof noise from other passengers'
personal music devices.

Next place to go looking, if you dont find what you need in CF-WACK is
the Livedocs.   There's an excellent search facility and you can find
almost everything you'll need there.  If you have ColdFusion server
installed on your own machine, then there's a copy of the LiveDocs
installed on your machine too.   By default it's at
http://localhost/cfdocs/dochome.htm

There are examples of most of the tags, showing you how to use them,
and that way you learn where to use the hash characters (#) and where
not.    I've had to learn lots of technology in the last 14 years
since I started my business, and coldfusion has by far the best help
system, if you own CF-WACK and have access to the livedocs.

If you still cant figure out what to do after all that, you have a lot
of helpful folks eager to help you on CF-Talk.  But I have to agree
with Matt here - you need to show you have tried to figure it out for
yourself first.    In my opinion that makes you a better programmer
than just memorising heaps of code.  The best programmer meets a
problem he has never seen before and works out how to solve it,  works
out what he has to learn to be able to solve it, and knows where he
can go to find out.   To quote one of my son's high school teachers,
"it's more realistic  to learn your way around the library and the
catalogue system than to try to read all the books and memorise all
the facts within".

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month