Just to throw in my two pennies worth:

I have a CMS where there are about 20 websites which use the same
editor, file upload etc.

I do this the following way - I have a table with the web site
specifics in, like the various upload directories, image directories
etc, and then a User table. Each user has a list of approved
websites, where the Unique ID for the website matches a list of IDs
in the User entry.

So when they login, I authenticate, then assign the various website
variables to a session struct/query which are then used to display
the info they require. Using the session scope means you can only
assign them the information etc they need. You can then build the
various templates you need for web page editing around the variables
set in the session scope.