Thanks to Roland Collins on an other list, who pointed me at the solution.

What surprises me most about this is that so few people have tried the
XML forms.  They run FAR faster than the flash versions and are MUCH
more flexible as to look and feel.   However flash is the buzz-word of
the moment and so few people know anything about CSS.  Anyway ....

So I'm suddenly getting this problem ...  I think its to do with the
location of the default scripts, css and xsl files.  I have a solution
- kind-of.

I created a folder called CFFORMS under the root of my site and moved
a clean new copy of the /cfide/scripts/CSS folder and
/cfide/scripts/XSL folder in there.  Then I changed the CFFORM tag to
access the skin file directly, rather than by name.  e.g.

Instead of :
<cfform name="forminput" method="post" action="#cgi.SCRIPT_NAME#"
format="xml" skin="silver" preservedata="yes"
scriptsrc="/CFIDE/scripts">

I now use

<cfform name="forminput" method="post" action="#cgi.SCRIPT_NAME#"
format="xml" skin="/cfforms/scripts/xsl/silver.xsl" preservedata="yes"
scriptsrc="/cfforms/scripts">

And that seems to have done the trick.   I was trying to change the
scriptsrc attribute to fix the problem,  but instead it was the
location of the skin xsl file that was the problem.

Thanks for your help, Roland.

I'm sorry if this problem has been cross-posted, but  I was having
problems finding anyone who knows anything about XML forms.  If you
haven't played with the XML forms, I strongly suggest you give them a
try - all the validation stuff works as advertised (unlike the clunky
version in CF5).  Rather than waiting for a full minute for a flash
form to render, it renders instantly like html,  you can build them
automatically from a table definition too as I do every day.  They are
the great unsung hero of CF7.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia