> The point is. This isn't expected behavior. The driver isn't
> supposed to make up names. I'd alias the column myself if I
> wanted that. I've never ever seen this. I see many people
> using just * to grab all the fields in all the tables in a
> query. When you need all the fields, * is faster than
> specifying all the field names. Faster to type and the query
> runs faster.

Those people shouldn't be using *. While it's faster to type, the query does
not run faster (or significantly slower, either). The problem with * is that
it doesn't let a reader know what fields are returned.

And, as far as what the driver is supposed to do: I would argue that it
shouldn't let you run the query at all. You can't have two columns in the
same query object with the same name. If it let you do this before, it
shouldn't have.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Chicago, Baltimore and Northern Virginia, or on-site at your location.