Richard,

Although ColdFusion ships with MySQL database drivers, my sense is that
these bundled drivers may not support Stored Procs.  (Just guessing.)

When I go into the ColdFusion Administrator, on the "Data Sources" page, the
"Driver" dropdown for "Add New Data Source" has for MySQL "MySQL (3.x)".

Stored procs only became available in MySQL as of version 5.x.  So it could
be that what has been causing you to be "tearing my hair out for weeks" is
that ColdFusion may be talking to your MySQL 5.x database with a driver that
has no (i.e. "null") logic for making Stored Proc calls.  (Again, I am just
guessing here.  As a practical matter, however, the most important thing is
just to get you configuration working :-)

fyi ... drivers intermediate all communication between CF and the database.
I.e.:
  ColdFusion  --SQL-->  driver  -->  Database  --result set-->  driver  -->
ColdFusion

Following are links to two TechNotes on ColdFusion w/ MySQL.  They cover
going over to MySQL.com and downloading and installing their
drivers<http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/j/>,
product name Connector/J:

Aug 1, 2006
ColdFusion MX: Configuring the MySQL JDBC driver (MySQL Connector)
http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19170

March 17, 2006
Configuring a JDBC Driver for MySQL 4.1 or 5 for use with ColdFusion MX
http://www.adobe.com/go/6ef0253

If you follow what is outlined in the TechNotes, I believe that your
existing ColdFusion MySQL datasource will be uneffected.  That is you will
be able to add datasources using these new Connector/J drivers alongside
your existing datasources.  If I am correct in this, once you have the new
Connector/J based datasource set up, you existing code will be unaffected.
Then for testing you can create an alternate version of your ColdFusion
logic referencing the new Connector/J based datasource.

Also, I notice on the Connector/J
page<http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/j/>that the
5.x branch is now "production ready".  If you are going to install a
Connector/J driver, I encourage you to first try the 5.x branch.  (As I had
mentioned, my config is currently at 3.12.  The 3.x branch is now up to 3.14.
And for Connector/J there is no 4.x branch.)

Regarding using Dreamweaver for setting up your datasource connection, it
should make no difference.  Essentially DW and ColdFusion Administrator
provide alternate UIs for updating datasource records.

fyi ... I first switched to using the MySQL Connector/J drivers in early
2004 for BLOB support.  That is, whatever drivers were then bundled with CF
did not support inserting BLOBs.

If you do try out using Connector/J drivers, please do post back and let us
know if you can get your procs working with ColdFusion with them.

          hth,