From: Bobby Hartsfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 07 December 2006 19:58
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Anyone familiar with the CF_TwoSelectsRelated custom tag?

> These days your better off using AJAX to achieve the result of
> multiple related select lists.
> Its going to be a lot faster if your dealing with large amounts of
> data not to mention reducing loading time.

Ehhhh... I don't think I'd totally agree with that. One load versus a load
every time you make a selection. If it's all client side and in js arrays
already, the changes would be much faster than an asynchronous call to
another process to get the info.

This all, of course, depends on how MUCH data we are talking about though.
You don't want to overload a JS array on a windows 95 machine running IE 4.5
and 64 megs of ram ;-)

As for the question. You can roll your own selects related or you could
modify the onchange event of the twoselectsrelated's generated select with
something like...

document.forms['myformname'].myselctname.setAttribute('oncchange',
'callAFunciton()');

I'm sure I typoed something, just look up the setAttribute() method. You
would want to call the above code AFTER the two selects have been rendered
to the page.

setAttributes DOES work in IE as well as FF regardless of what you read.
There are just some attributes that it doesn't work very well with. I
haven't found a definitive list of them anywhere, you'll just have to try it
and see.

Personally, id write my own from scratch. You should be able to find enough
code on Google to piece something together.

Bobby Hartsfield
http://acoderslife.com