I think the nature of this thread is to provide generalizations bout
certification.  There are so many people with subjective opinions about
certification.

Does certifying hurt your career? I am willing to wager most would conceed
that this will more than likely be "No."  For those that say "yes" to the
afore mentioned question, I suspect you are being contrarian.

I helped teach a certification preperation class.  We met once a week for 8
weeks.  I believe that I taught probably 3 sessions and provided feedback
during every class.  The class size was about 6-8 people.  The experience
levels were novice to expert.  We assisted the new people and shared insight
amongst the more experienced developers.  We used printed copies of cf exam
buster to test about certain objectives.  Half the people in the room
already had a license for the software.

Not everyone went on to certify after the 8 weeks, but the preperation for
the certification helped remind beginner and experienced developers that
there are features out there that they may have rebuilt the wheel for.

I am for certification and helping people to prepare for it.  It cannot hurt
you to share knowledge with others when the goal is to expand our community
and promote more new developers to use the product.

Teddy