I am playing with YUI and spry and have a fun task of having content from
other pages load into a tab system in spry.  All is working well so far.
Next I have event listener code to check for the click of any link in that
tab content area (which is a separate file).  Those links are just normal
links with no onclick or anything.  If you click on it load that linked
pages data into the tab.  That also works.

What I am stuck on now is how to get the page to then stop going to the new
page.  In other words if the link goes to 'aboutus.cfm' I can get the
content of aboutus.cfm to load into the tab content area, but the page then
reloads fully to go to the aboutus.cfm page.

Basically clicking on a link will trigger the function below which needs to
stop the default behavior of opening a new page.

I use return false; in my function, but that only cancel's things in IE7 and
not firefox.  I also tried return(false); with same result.

Relevant JS is:

function clickHandler(e) {
  var elTarget = YAHOO.util.Event.getTarget(e); // sets the var with the
href of the new page
  Spry.Utils.updateContent('apDiv1',elTarget);  // updates my div with new
content
  return(false);  // try to stop browser from opening new page
}
YAHOO.example.init = function() {
YAHOO.util.Event.on(YAHOO.util.Dom.getElementsByClassName('joshua',
'div')[0], "click", clickHandler);
}

Joshua Cyr
Savvy Software