I have an issue that I could use some advice on how to best resolve.

This is a calendar report that shows a summation of daily transactional data.
Three times daily processes in the oracle database fire off that aggregate and
sums this information for use by this report.  These processes take about 90
minutes on average to run and while running accessing the data is hit or miss.
In between these updates the data does not change.

My idea is to cache this data in the CF report application and only update the
cache after the update process has finished.  I already have the hook to do
this.  The process remotely contacts a CFC when it is finished.  But how do I
best to cache this data?  There are tens of millions records covering a decade
of data past and up to a year into future.  So it seems a bit impractical to
put all that into memory!

The current month's data is by far the most frequently accessed.  I would
suspect that including the past and future 2 or three months would cover better
then 95% of the usage.

How might some of you better n-tier types tackle this kind of problem.  I'm
sure I have not provided enough details here.  I am not even sure what is
relevant to tackling this issue.

--------------
Ian Skinner
Web Programmer
BloodSource
www.BloodSource.org
Sacramento, CA

---------
| 1 |   |
---------  Binary Sudoku
|   |   |
---------

"C code. C code run. Run code run. Please!"
- Cynthia Dunning

Confidentiality Notice:  This message including any
attachments is for the sole use of the intended
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender and
delete any copies of this message.