Just to add a bit to the thread:

cfstoredproc is, in general, a little more secure. It allows you to
specify the data type of parameters, which can help with security.
Stored procedures are generally harder to "break out of" during a SQL
injection attack. Also, a stored procedure can have more specificity
with regards to permissions and accessing other databases.

CFQuery is more flexible -- you can just type in the SQL you want to
run. Cfstoredproc requires you to create and modify stored procedures in
the db. It's not a big deal, but it's kind of a pain when you are
developing an app or making changes -- especially if someone else is
doing the db work.

None of these are absolute reasons to use one over the other. For
example, you can set up a way to check parameters before passing them to
cfquery. CFStoredproc comes with them out of the box, as it were.

I've found that they work really well together. I generally develop an
app with cfquery, and change them all to cfstoredproc before I put it
into production.

Jeff Polaski
Webmaster
Office of Research