Hello Chaps,

I’m new to the world of MVC, and I’m currently using MG to initiate myself
into this type of design pattern, and on the most parts I’ve now found my
feet, but there are a few of the more simple concepts that I’m still a little
fuzzy on.

The first element that confuses me is this use of ‘views’ and how I should
be applying them to me project. Should I be creating a view for every page in
my application, or is the idea that each view forms a ‘widget’ and then
pages can be  assembled from several views? For instance, in my application I
have a short list of ‘latest news’ type features, which I want to display
on several different pages around the site. Do I need to replicate this code
every time for each view, or do in include it with <cfinclude> ,or can I have
the framework assemble it for me into the pages? Before I moved to MVC I would
always construct ‘widgets’ of information and then build my main pages with
nothing more than several <cfinclude> to bring in the data I wanted.

I’ve downloaded several model glue based applications off the web, and none
of them seem to shed much light on the situation, many of them seem to have
plenty of CFM pages outside of the ‘views’ folder which contain queries as
inline code which obviously goes against the whole principle of MVC and OOP
methodology. Is there any particular reason they would be doing this? It’s
got me stumped.

Next I wanted to quickly cover the process of retrieving query data into my
view. On occasion I find myself needing un-manipulated query data in my views,
is it ‘proper’ of me to have my controller speak directly to the ORM and
collect that? Or should I always request it through my model?

Another quick point with regards to controllers, how do you guys deal with
separating your controllers? Should I be building them per task? So one
controller for my Shopping Cart, one for my Reporting and another for User
Information and so forth?

I know those probably seem like silly questions, I’m just trying to
understand what you guys regularly do, and what the ‘best practices’ are
for working within an MVC design pattern.

Thanks for any advice guys,

Rob