It's not a workaround, it's The Right Way.
You want to transfer data from OnRequestStart to OnRequest, so you use the
Request scope!

You can't directly transfer var scoped data because the whole purpose of
var-scoping is that it is local to that specific function.

(You can of course use the Variables scope, but that offers no advantage over
the Request scope, and is more ambiguous about where the variable is used)