Wow, what a series of resourceful posts! Thanks Matt, Andrew and Damien.

I have used Tortoise to pull items down from an SVN or CVN repository
but I have never created one myself.

I guess I don't understand how I would use SVN for a live web
application. Would I create a mapping on my development machine to one
of the trunks for testing in the browser and also set that trunk to
deploy to the root of my live server? Sorry if that question is an
unintelligible one, there are some major gaps in my understanding.

In the meantime, I am going to take a look at some of those links and
perhaps the SVN manual.

-Aaron