I've been hosting in the US for years, and most of my sites are
Australian sites.   At first i worried about what I assumed would be
lag, bu tsince i had no viable alternative at the time, I went with
it.

I found that it made no practical difference where the box was hosted.
  I have a client with a  fairly high-traffic Australian site on
Hostmysite.com and while it's not perfect, none of the issues he lists
includes "too slow response time."

These US hosting companies have very big pipes to connect to, and
multiple redundancy.  My own hosting business for example is based in
a giant data centre in Texas with thousands upon thousands of server
boxes.   I havent had anyone ever say to me that they want to move
their sites to an Australian-based host because teh response time is
too slow.

There might be other issues and you should do you arithmetic on the
money, but lag because it's hosted in the USA rather than the UK is
NOT going to be one of your problems.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month