Brad,

After writing the text below I re-read your post and wondered if I missed
something. Are you moving the IP number to the new box too? If not then the
text below is valid.

------

A new domain that no one has ever used, and therefore isn't cached, should be
pointed as an alias to the new IP location. You can have 10,000 domains all
point to the same IP and if IIS or Apache or whatever you're using is properly
configured they can all wind up on the same exact website, or have the
webserver route the request to a specific site on the box based on the domain.
The box only needs one IP.

So, knowing that, you can build the new server up in advance with this new
domain name (or even a new subdomain to the original, ie; www2.yourdomain.com)
and test it. When the time comes, you change the DNS (after following all the
other advice on this list, such as ratcheting down the TTL) for the original
domain to the new IP, and make a change to application.cfm/cfc to cflocate the
old site to the new domain (ie; www2.yourdomain.com).

Thus:

People whos DNS hasn't been refreshed will go to the old www.yourdomain.com and
be sent to www2.yourdomain.com, which is the new box.

People whos DNS has refreshed will go to the new box.

If your DNS is on the old box that you're moving away from you may want to
consider moving the zonefiles/DNS to your registrar. Both Godaddy and NetSol
have this feature now. You "park" the domain on their boxes and then set the
zone records in their interface.

As for takiong the old site down, I'd wait more than a few days. Some ISPs and
OSes are really very bad about refreshing. I know they're supposed to respect
the TTL, but I've switched DNS in the past and sometimes the client complains
that over a week later they're still winding up at the old site. Perhaps it's
caching. Perhaps it's their OS not refreshing their local DNS. Perhaps it's a
crummy ISP. Who knows.

MIk