>> So trying to access the file via SQL Server 2000 probably isn't possible.

Unfortunately that probably cuts out your best route, I import a fairly
substantial amount of log data into my application from CSV files and I used
a query/stored proc and the BULK INSERT function from SQL, it's very good
with this kind of thing, you would move it into a staging table and then use
another query to do your update/replace type statement, it would be super
efficient.

However, it all depends on how often you import the data, SQL server does
have some other tricks up its sleeve, such as DTS which can be used for
large file imports, but they'll required more substantial access to the
server, whereas BULK INSERT can be run from a normal query, if you want more
information and an example of the code, let me know.

Thanks,

Rob