Java is a typed language.. meaning when you declare a variable
(C example follows) like this

#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
 int foo;
 double bigfoo;

 foo = "adfadsfafd";

 foo = 32897489327489327432432;
}

That example is invalid because
foo can only be of datatype integer
so you cant assign non integer values

Just as foo canot contain values that are
to large either since it is of type int
it cannot contain values larger than
the datatype allows for.

Thus C is a strongly typed language
because the datatypes only allow for
certain types of data within each.

Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
In a structured programming environment
typed variables almost always help out.

Jeremy Allen
ElliptIQ Inc.