I agree that one needs to be careful.  I do understand the performance
problems that could arise if you are making lots of round trips to the
server.

In this case I bind to: autosuggest="#ValueList(desc.description)#".
So since I already have the results of the query I don't think there
would be any roundtrips.

The biggest thing is once I type a letter and some results are
returned, then eliminating them as you type should require almost
nothing, just drop off those that no longer match. With CFAUTOSUGGEST
you have to pause for anything at all to happen.  So essentially you
have to pause  1/2 second after every letter to let the list refresh
and see your new options.  This is not good and as I said my users
will go bezerko.  1/2 second may not seem like alot but when you
multiply that by every letter, and the fact that my users will be
using this lookup every time they enter a new record which is every 30
seconds to 2 minutes, then you see how those little pauses may drive
one crazy.