From: Bryan Stevenson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 2:14 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Is cfqueryparam worth it?

> There are reasons not to use it. They come with perils. If the data
> being sent to the query does not come from the outside then the only
> risk to SQL injection comes from the developers working on the query,
> and they have other ways to cause havoc without having to write SQL
> injection attacks.

True enough....but then you need to use one of those stripped down queries
where the public could mess with things....why not just use it and forget
about it??
;-)

> When you use cfqueryparam the statement that gets compiled uses
> sp_prepexec. This causes MSSql server to generate the query execution
> plan for the query before actually executing the query. This can
> actually end up causing the server to run the query 2x. If you have a
> very long running query for a report for example that queries millions
> of records of data against millions of other records of data etc. and
> takes several minutes or hours to execute you do not want that to
> happen 2x every call. In theory when sp_prepexec generates the
> execution plan that is cached and not needed to be created again
> however on high volume / traffic sql servers it is not possible to
> cache every execution plan forever. Often long running queries that
> are executed rarely fall out of the execution plan cache. This can
> create a huge performance problem for a sql server.

Well that's a pretty specific situation...and one that should be a stroed
proc IMHO

Bryan Stevenson B.Comm.
VP & Director of E-Commerce Development
Electric Edge Systems Group Inc.
phone: 250.480.0642
fax: 250.480.1264
cell: 250.920.8830
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: www.electricedgesystems.com

Notice:
This message, including any attachments, is confidential and may contain
information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure. It is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed unless expressly authorized
otherwise by the sender. If you are not an authorized recipient, please
notify the sender immediately and permanently destroy all copies of this
message and attachments.