Brian,
You're right, I'm just passing a string and not actually submitting a form.
But why can't I assign the value of the string being passed to a variable in
the form scope?

I also noted that much of the scripts out there for file upload with AJAX
use iFrames. I have not never used iFrames with AJAX so I will have to get
versed in that first. Thanks for the tip and I will look around and see if
anything exists for Prototype already.

-Aaron