Dale,
Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this. I used your basic example to
step back and try to troubleshoot this from the start to see where
things break.

The Web root folder is
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\

My code is here
C:\projects\

If I stay inside the Web root, all combinations of virtual
directories, paths, etc. all work with your sample code. For example I
can put park.cfc inside of
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\a\b\c\ and call it as a.b.c.park.getParks(). Or I
can create a virtual directory to that folder as "x" and write
x.park.getParks().

As soon as I put the CFC in a folder outside of the Web root, the code
no longer works, even though I have a virtual directory set up. This
problem is specific to the new Ajax feature, since the ColdFusion
server has no problems accessing a file outside of the Web root. So
this looks like a bug with the new Ajax feature where virtual
directories are not properly handled in the code that generates the
JavaScript.

To test this, I changed my Web root to point to C:\projects\ and that
code which didn't work started working, even though I am using a
virtual directory so the true location of the Web root shouldn't
matter.

Thanks,
Mike Chabot