Thanks Wil,

That suggestion works.  However, in an example of a query with 10
columns and assuming you want to allow desc and asc, does anyone  have a
more conscience way other than 20 cfcase statements?

I thought about just checking for the existence of the semicolon in the
sort variable being passed.  If it exists, ignore it and default the
sort.  But...then I'd still be exposing the actual database field name
which as you say, is a not desirable.

I haven't attempted to use a framework yet.  Do these
already/automagically account for this?  Does anyone else have another
way of dealing with this?