It has been well over a year since I looked at this, but I also
remember seeing memory issues when trying to create the Excel file via
various cffunction calls. I had a process that created Excel files
using POI functions that worked fine, and I wanted to make it more
maintainable by dividing common routines up into functions. When I did
this I believe I kept getting memory errors, which instead of trying
to troubleshoot, I just reverted to the working code sans functions
since I was under a deadline.

You can apply styles to cells using POI, although it not as easy as
creating HTML tables with CSS classes.

I believe my hacking though POI was before Ben Nadel's POIUtility
existed, since I don't remember having the benefit of a pre-built code
library.

-Mike Chabot