That's a good point, I didn't think about virtualization.

Also, I guess it would depend a lot on the specific situation.  Are we
talking about a small office with 10 email users, 1 web app. and 1
database?  In that case, the one server setup may work just fine.

But, if there are numerous Exchange users, several web apps. (or 1
really big one), and multiple databases, then I would still try to split
it up some way.

Thanks,

Eric