Hi Jake-

A couple years back, I was involved with a project where had to do this
exact thing for a client. Here's a few things that might help get you
started. The calendar allowed for both recurring and concurring events,
although I don't have the ability to do recurring events that span multiple
days (yikes!). Here's the basic database structure I used. There's actually
more, but I left only the parts that deal with recurrence:

Events
------
EventID (int) PK
Name (varchar)
StartDate (date)
EndDate (date)
Recurring (boolean)
RecurringValue (int)
RecurringInterval (varchar)
RecurringEndDate (date)
RecurringParentID (int)

EventDays
---------
EventDayID (int)
EventID (int) FK
DayInterval (int)

Obviously, when the Recurring field is true, then we're dealing with a
recurring event. RecurringValue and RecurringInterval work together, so
let's say you have an event that recurs every 3 days, RecurringValue would
be "3" and RecurringInterval would be "day" RecurringInterval  can be day,
week, month, or year. RecurringEndDate  is the day when the recurring event
ends, obviously. In my system this is optional, so a RecurringEndDate that
is NULL never ends! RecurringParentID is used when there is a split, either
if someone changes information about the recurring event mid stream (like
"apply these changes to this and all future dates") or deletes a single
occurrence, etc. That's really one of the biggest pains in the system is
dealing with those.

The EventDays table keeps track of things like lets say you want an event to
take place every two weeks on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then I would
have three DayInterval entries for 2 (Mon), 4 (Wed), and 6 (Fri) in the
database. It also keeps track of Monthly settings like "Every second Tuesday
of the week."

I hope this helps get you going in the right direction. I would love to
share the code base with you, but don't think the client would appreciate
that much, but please let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be
happy to help!

--
Ryan J. Heldt
Senior Web Developer