You know, I was writing a reply when this came in.  Couldn't really say it
any better myself.

The great thing (one of them, anyway) is that if you install Aptana and
don't like it, you can simply remove it without disturbing your base Eclipse
install.  So, yea, I'd say go ahead and try it.  My guess is you won't look
back.  For HTML and CSS, it just can't be beat.  JS editing isn't too bad
either, but like Charlie, I use JSEclipse.  That really wasn't your
question, tho.  :)

I would not qualify Aptana as overkill whatsoever.  It does exactly what it
sounds like you are trying to do, and it does it well.  Better than
Homesite, even (TopStyle - blech!).