-----Original Message-----
From: Claude Schneegans [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 >>Visually DPI represents "dots per inch" - it's a measure of "density" in
printing. The higher the DPI the better the quality of printing - right?

Exact. It's a density. The definition of a "resolution" is "the size of the
smallest element the instrument can measure,
-- if the instrument sees or measures things -- or generate, if the
instrument creates things.
It is closely related to the density, of course, but it is not formerly the
same thing.
Thus, the unit of resolution for instruments like printers, monitors or
scanners would be in inches, or 1/1000 In. For instance, a printer with a
density of 1000 DPI has a density of 1/1000 In.
Note that on some optical instruments like cameras, or human eye, the
resolution is measured in angle units. The human eye has a resolution of
about 1 minute angle.

 >>On a monitor the "pixel" is in one way a measurement of size - as in "how
many pixels can I get on the screen".

Ok, now "how many pixels", this is called the "definition". This is the
maximum number of different elements the instrument can measure or genrate
(ie: lines in TV transmission) Of course, the more pixels you have to
represent an image, the better the quality will be.
Note that:
density = definition / size of the working area resolution = size of the
working area / definition then density = 1 / resolution

 >>When I look at an image in Fireworks I get a measurement of pixels at the
bottom - 800 by 600 for example - 96 "pixels per inch". That's a size
measurement.

For the pixels, yes, but one should never should forget that it is a virtual
image.
Normally, a virtual object has no size.
Now, if you make a physical representation of your virtual image, it becomes
a real image, and its size will be nb.pixels * resolution of the printer, or
nb.pixels / density of the printer.
Talking of pixels per inch in a virtual image just does not make sense.
Where are the inches we are talking about ?

 >>This setting (as I understand it) is really related to the lossy
compression that is used and dictates how aggressively the file is to be
compressed.

Exact, and it has nothing to do with pixels, or density.

 >>But this is where non-imagy folks like me get confused. I DPI is not the
same as "resolution" what is the proper term?

In my book it is "density".

 >> Is it "bit depth" or the number of colors used or what.

Yes, it is the numbers of bits used to express color, thus the magnitude of
the numbers that can be used to express the color. Then one should finally
call it the "color definition".

 >>How do you reference the quality of the image on the screen without using
the word "resolution"? And if resolution IS the proper term for the
"quality" of an image, then doesn't it have at least some correlation to
DPI?

You cannot express the quality in DPI or any other kind of unit.
The quality depends on many factors like the pixel definition, the color
definition, the compression level the precision and fidelity of the display
or printing equipment, and finally, the quality of your own eye !
The overall quality is a chain of elements, DPI is only one of them.

 >>I need education on this point. What is the proper way of referring to
the "quality" of a digital image?

There is no really a unit to measure "quality", one only can take in account
the quality of each element in the chain.
Just like in a old analogic sound equipment, the overall quality depends on
many element, from the musical instrument to the auditor's ear, including
the recording system, the vinyl record pressing, the piezzo pick-up, the
speaker system, etc.