I have a web site that is to be accessible only to Windows domain members.
I'm moving it from a W2k/IIS5/CF5 server to a W2k3/IIS6/CF8 server in a
new domain.

With W2k/IIS5 this seemed relatively straightforward.  Just give the root
folder of the private web site the same permissions as a public web site,
then add IUSR_MACHINENAME to the ACL with Deny for all permissions.

On the new server that same strategy gives fairly strange results - it
looks like the user authenticates OK, but I get no page output.  If CF
debugging is enabled for the IP address, I see no page output, but the CF
debugging output is shown and lists execution times for all the CF
templates for the page generation.

Oddly enough, I get the same behavior in IIS6 if I use IIS's integrated
directory security instead of Windows folder ACLs.