From: Rick Root [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:17 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: OT: SSL Necessary? Important?

On 1/24/08, Tom Chiverton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday 24 Jan 2008, James Holmes wrote:
> > A dedicated IP is probably necessary with your host, since I assume
> > you're sharing an IP right now.
>
> You can serve multiple different SSL'ed domains from the same IP, can't
you ?
> Your existing hose may also have a cheaper deal too.

typically no, because "virtual hosting" relies on host headers.  The web
server doesn't receive the headers until after the connection is
established.

As for self-signing with OpenSSL - it's not a viable option at all unless
you're doing it for an intranet or a site with a VERY VERY small base of
users (like 2-3 users).. cuz then you can tell the 2-3 users to ignore the
certificate warning.  But that's STILL a security risk to you and those 2-3
users.

I've found this reseller to be reliable and cheap - they've been in business
for a long time and they're still there, and still cheap.

http://www.spacereg.com/webcert.html

the StarterSSL certificate is only $25/year with 96% browser recognition....
go up to the QuickSSL to get 99% recognition at $80/year...

Rick

--
Rick Root
New Brian Vander Ark Album, songs in the music player and cool behind the