> Who releases a major revision of a language platform without a
> exhaustive change log?  Even Microsoft, who every developer loves to
> hate, has this information available for .NET.  Adobe is billing CF 8
> as a drop-in replacement for earlier versions of MX.  If there's no
> other option besides a full regression test or completely reading the
> documentation on each and every function and tag (which won't catch
> the undocumented changes), then this becomes a major upgrade effort,
> rather than a simple task a server administrator to perform on a
> Saturday night.

Uhh, yeah, things change -- sometimes they break ... I'm not aware of
any language or platform for which people just upgrade willy-nilly and
expect there to never be any problems. Not every bug or omission is
found or reported during the beta process. People who have a good handle
on their business will generally upgrade in the middle-range (not the
earliest adopters, but they don't wait until several years after there's
not been any support for their current version either), perform some
basic testing and then spot-repair for other issues when they happen.
Often I hear horror stories about companies spending huge amounts of
time and money to maintain outdated systems because it would be "too
expensive" to upgrade, with the expense usually being attributed to the
amount of time required to test & fix their application(s). I doubt the
..NET world is much different.

--
s. isaac dealey  ^  new epoch
 isn't it time for a change?