> With multi-server CF8 you can duplicate an instance and then link them
> together as a cluster on the same machine.  Does this improve
> performance in any way?  Or is it purely for failover should 1 of the
> instances halt in any way?
>
> And with the failover circumstance, how are you notified if one of the
> instances in your cluster is failing?

Just figured I'd post some results, as I have been playing with CF8 clustering
in our development environment.

I must say that I am extremely pleased so far with CF8's ability to failover
from a dead instance seamlessly while keeping the user's session active.
Single server, multi-instance clustering seems to work very well.

I also set up a cluster that spanned physical servers, but without as much
luck.  I could get failover across servers, but the user was always logged out.
 And the situation where you might completely lose a single server has a lot to
do how your load balancer is set up.  In our situation, clustering across
physical servers won't really help us because our networking staff has our load
balancer permanently directing blocks of users to one server or the other.

But I am going to recommend that we create multiple-instances of our high level
clients and run them as single server clusters.  With CF7 we have had quite a
few situations where a CF (Jrun) server has simply stopped responding and
killed a site.

Cheers