I know without deep details this may be hard to answer but looking for
some general thoughts.

We have 4 front end web servers all on Coldfusion 7.  Java 1.4.1.13.
Dell Xeon 4 gigs of Ram, dual quad core  Nothing by CF runs on these boxes.

All the code lives on NAS on a gigabyte network.

Throughout the day when looking at seefusion we will see short windows
of time, maybe min or 2 where pages that normally load pretty quick with
take 30 seconds for example to execute the TTFB.  Queries are in ms
range but the page just seems to stick.

For some testing I moved all the source code to the local Drive on 1 web
server.  I do notice less pages hanging but still see little blips.
What I see as a big difference is when my app first loads on the NAS it
takes up to 100 seconds, locally 10 seconds or less to load in all the
objects.  Performance overall on the local machine seems faster.  Roght
now the code on the local machine sits on C drive as well so I suspect
if I added some more drives it would perform a little better with having
to compete with the OS.

For caching I have both Trusted cache and Save Class files checked and
max number of cached templates at 2000.  Max is connections is at 24, I
know I could go much higher but this seems to work best.

I would assume overall that the site running locally will perform faster
than over a gig switch.  Maybe fiber would compete here, not sure.

Im trying to figure out why the sporadic high TTFB comes up.  Are there
any other settings, places to look, IIS settings maybe, to try and see
why this is happening... or is it simply a burst in traffic that causes
some concurrency issues?

Thanks in advance.

Brian