I am trying to figure out the technical ramifications of defining the
username and password for a specific DSN in a separate text file and how it
may relate to connection pooling v. supplying the user/pass directly in the
DSN. Once the file is loaded, user and password are passed to cfqueries
using application variables.

If the user/pass is defined externally, can connections in the same pool be
re-used?
If the user/pass is added to the DSN, the user/pass removed from the
external text file and the cfquery strings still contain the Application
variables for them, what happens to the connection pool?

The reason I am trying to wrap my head around this is that our datasource
(Oracle) has an increasing number of connections that are never released.
Over time, the application becomes sluggish. It also uses stored procs.