Hmm, it depends.

500k of application memory doesn't really sound bad - how much memory does
the server have - I'm sure 500kb doesn't really matter.

As far as abusing the application scope - is the data well organized? Are
the variables logically named? Are they correctly scoped? They should not be
related to any clients using the system, but are indeed application
configuration settings. Are they values that are better left in a stylesheet
or on a page-configuration level as opposed to an application configuration
level?

If the data is a lot of manually cached queries or data, this, too, would
make sense, though it might be better to make a reusable caching service.

The newer way of handling application configuration settings is probably
something more along the lines of hiding a lot of the configuration through
a CFC or CFCs and make the application configuration a managed data process.
One of the best things I've seen is putting many of these settings in a
coldspring services.xml file and providing settings where they are needed
instead of globally to the entire application.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) and it really depends on the application and
the implementation.

--
nathan strutz
http://www.dopefly.com/