>First, this has nothing to do with AJAX or server-side validation, really.
>Your options for notifying the user of an error are no different with AJAX
>than they would be with any sort of client-side validation.
Disagree.  Server-side validation, traditionally means to send a form to cf
server and have the cf server run some code to check the data on a relational
db or desktop db or whatever data source, then if there's data problem, alert
user with cf type code.  Here's the difference is to use ajax do js call for a
cfc that does the db side data check then do alert or not.  I don't enjoy
writing this to refute you...

>That said, I don't think there's one single approach that would always be
>best. I think that different forms may have different optimal ways of
>notifying the user. Sometimes the best approach would be to simply change

>the appearance of the field,
Similar to Dom's hightlight I think, not bad.

>and perhaps set focus on that field.
You're talking on this one (that's what I've already did).