I'm assuming that you're new to CF (forgive me if you're not).

The absolute best thing you can do when starting out with CF is to take an
hour (in the CF 2.0 days it was 15 minutes) and flip through the reference
manual:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=Part_3_CFM
L_Ref_1.html

Just flip through and read the first sentence description of each function
and tag.  They won't completely sink in but you'll get a feel for the
capabilities and "families" of functionality.  When a new task comes up it's
likely something will trip.

It's the absolute best time you can spend.

I think every good CFer has a story about spending an inordinate amount of
time building something that the language already did.  In my case the first
app I built was a calendar... boy was I proud when I built a function for
determining leap year to CF.  ;^)

Jim Davis