From: Richard Meredith-Hardy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 20 May 2008 10:09
To: CF-Talk
Subject: requestTimeout behaviour

Of course I could mess about with experiments, but can somebody tell me
how
<CFSETTING requesttimeout="seconds"> behaves in CF8?

Specifically:  I have a series of quite long running operations which
are scheduled to occur every 15 min, what I want to avoid is the total
overrunning 15 min so another instance starts before the last one has
finished. (this is retreiving stuff down a leased line which is usually
fast but sometimes very slow).

so, if:
I put a timeout of 5 min (300) on Operation A
and then a timeout of 3 min (180) on Operation B

and then Operation A completes in 1 min,

does the new timeout on operation B have a further 3 min to run the
request, or is the OVERALL timeout of the request actually reduced to 3
min, so in fact I have only 2 min to run before it times out?

Note that I don't want to use CFTHREAD with this, because it's important
Operation A completes before Operation B starts.  The logic of the thing
stops Operation B running at all if Operation A fails to complete.

Thanks

Richard