Dear all

My CF8 app has a scheduled event going off every 15 mins, for the
purposes of explanation I'll call this RAPID

One thing it has to do can be very long running, up to a couple of hours
(no, it's not my code, but all to do with the response time from a
crappy old Sage line 100 accounts program).  I'll call this XSLOW.

Ideally, what I would like to do is for RAPID to look to see if XSLOW is
not running, and kick it off in a separate thread on a sort of
fire-and-forget basis, but I don't want any other instances of XSLOW
kicking off until it's finished.

I could do this with some sort of external flag, but if XSLOW hangs or
the server gets rebooted or something there's the risk that XSLOW and
its flag will get out of synch and never run again.

Can CFTHREAD somehow be scoped in the application scope so RAPID can
check for XSLOW's thread status every time it runs?

I'm thinking that some sort of combination of CFTHREAD and CFLOCK will
do the trick, but I'm at a bit of a loss to see the exact way to do it.

Thanks

Richard