If you decide to go in this direction, I would suggest not just using the
'datetime' added column.  create a truly unique identifier such as: "datetime
(YYYYMMDDHHMMSS)+ user ip address (or username if logged in) plus a random
sequence".  This way you will know you can search on the unique and not get a
possible duplicate.

However, you can also create a separate set of functions (CFCs) for each
possible database so that you only hit the database once per call, if you want
to blend the need for optimized code along with database type independence.

William