Chuck,

I think you may be confusing your MX records for google with the SMTP
server. You are able to connect because the MX server does listen on
port 25 and will respond but will not allow you to relay email through
it.

Your settings in CF Administrator need to be:

server: smtp.gmail.com
username: any user on your domain
password: well you know
Port: 465

Check: Enable SSL socket connections to mail server
Check: Enable TLS connection to mail server

Don't worry about backups because SMTP is already load balanced on their end.

NOTE: Keep in mind that Google's SMTP for domains does one weird
thing... it ignores the "From" and will always put in the FROM
information for the account you are using to send. This is a security
feature they have inacted and it is to keep down spam on their end.
Basically you can't "spoof" a user by just putting whatever you want
in the from.

-J.J.