I would like to create an avatar-trimming feature like that found on
Facebook and Flickr, which allows the end user to select an area of
their uploaded image (constrained to a square) to be their avatar.

I figure it's using JavaScript to select the top and bottom x,y
co-ordinates that define the box, and passing those numbers to the
image processing functions to crop the image (I'm using CF8 for this
one).

The server-side part sounds straightforward, but the client-side part
sounds tricky. I'm guessing/hoping that as this is something that has
been done before, there might be an example somewhere, or something :)

My attempts to google the answer have been largely unsuccessful cos I
don't really know what words to use - avatar +trim +javascript gets me
all sorts of things including questions about trimming nose and pubic
hair. hmmmm.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
K.