You *can* restart the spooler service without restarting CF.  This is
unsupported but works in CF7 and 8, and possibly 6.

<cfset sFactory = CreateObject("java","coldfusion.server.ServiceFactory")>
<cfset MailSpoolService = sFactory.mailSpoolService>
<cfset MailSpoolService.stop()>
<cfset MailSpoolService.start()>

-Ryan