Thanks for the feedback, Mike.

 > Even though it works, it is not a normal practice for the guts of a
 > component to know what is going on outside.

What's the difference, ultimately, in referring to the form variables
in <cfset myObj.update_product(form, product_id)> and just referring
to them directly in the query?

Either way, they're still just methods of "informing" the method of
the data "on the outside", right???

It just seems like two different ways of doing the same thing...

Rick